On this page are listed the recent non-monographic academic publications of the faculty of the Department of History. These are arranged alphabetically by faculty name. For complete publication records please refer to the individual faculty member's CV (see 'People' tab).
- Adler, J.L. 2018. “Veterans, Like Other Working- and Middle-Class Americans, Increasingly Rely on Public Health Programs” American Journal of Public Health, 108, No. 3, 298-299.
- Adler, J.L. 2017. Review of Medicine in First World War Europe: Soldiers, Medics, Pacifists for Social History of Medicine (doi: https:/doi.org10.1093/shm/hkx115, print version forthcoming).
- Adler, J.L. 2017. “To Recognize Those Who Served: Gendered Analyses of Veterans’ Policies, Representations, and Experiences” in The Routledge Handbook of Gender, War, and the U.S. Military, Kara Dixon Vuic, (ed.), Routledge: New York, 303-322.
- Adler, J.L. 2017. Review of The Rise of the Military Welfare State for Journal of Economic History, 77, no. 2, 625-627.
- Adler, J.L. 2017. “‘The service I rendered was just as true’: African American soldiers and veterans as activist patients” American Journal of Public Health, 107, no. 5, 675-683.
- Page, T., M. Williams, G. Cassella, J. Adler, & B. Amick. 2017. “The impact of Zika on local business” Disaster Prevention & Management, 26, 452-457.
- Davies, G. 2019. Book review of Wrightson, G. Combined Arms Warfare in Ancient Greece. From Homer to Alexander the Great and his Successors. London and New York: Routledge. Classical Review. 69.2. 1-3.
- Davies, G. 2017. 'Shock and awe' a la romana: La artillería legionaria en el siglo II d. c. Desperta Ferro (Especiales). 13, 12-18.
- Davies, G. & Magness, J. 2017. Recovering Josephus: Mason's History of the Jewish War and the Siege of Masada. Scripta Classica Israelica, 36, 55-65.
- Davies, G. 2017. Prey or Participants? : Civilian Siege Experiences during the First Jewish Revolt. In: Foote, N. and Williams, N. (eds.) Civilians and Warfare in World History , 67-79. Routledge: New York.
- Davies, G. 2017. Review of Graff, D.A. The Eurasian Way of War: Military Practice in Seventh-century China and Byzantium. Routledge: Oxford. Journal of Military History. 81.2., 542-44.
- Gibbs, J. M. 2018. Missions and the Global Question of Slavery: The Case of Christian Latrobe in Saxony, Great Britain and South Africa. In: Ratschiller, L. and Wetjen, K. (eds.) Verflochtene Mission: Perspektiven auf eine neue Missionsgeschichte, 27-44. Böhler: Wien/Köln/Weimar
- Gibbs, J. M. 2018. Review of Kelly, K.E. Republic of Taste: Art, Politics and Everyday Life in Early America. University of Pennsylvania Press: Philadelphia. Early American Literature, 42:3, 250-254.
- Gibbs, J. M. 2017. Review of Catron, J. W. Embracing Protestantism: Black Identities in the Atlantic World. University Press of Florida: Gainesville. Church History Journal, 9:2, 538-541
- Hilary Jones, 2018. “Originaire Women and Political Life in Senegal’s Four Communes.” In Black French Women and the Struggle for Equality 1848-2015, edited by Germain Felix and Sylaine Larcher. University of Nebraska Press, Chapter 1.
- Hilary Jones, 2017. “Fugitive Slaves and Christian Evangelism in French West Africa: A Protestant Mission in late Nineteenth-century Senegal,” Slavery & Abolition 38:1, 76-94.
- Hilary Jones, 2017. Review of Carina Ray, Crossing the Color Line: Race, Sex, and Contested Politics of Colonialism in Ghana, Journal of African History 58:3, 552-553.
- Premo, Bianca. 2018. “As If She Were My Own: Love, Mastery and Freedom in the Slave Regime of Colonial Peru.” In Daina Berry and Leslie Harris, eds. Sexuality and Slavery: Reclaiming Intimate Histories in the Americas. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 2018.
- Premo, Bianca. 2018. Review Fractional Freedoms: Slavery, Intimacy, and Legal Mobilization in Colonial Lima, 1600-1700 by Michelle A. McKinley, The Hispanic American Historical Review no. 98, 2 (2018): 307-8.
- Premo, Bianca. 2017. “Legal Writing, Civil Litigation and Agents in the Spanish Imperial World,” Kenneth Mills, ed.The Oxford Research Encyclopedia of Latin American History: Spanish Empire, 1-22. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Premo, Bianca. 2017. “Priorities of Law,” In Dialogue – with Judith Scheele, Daniel Lord Smail, Bianca Premo, and Bhavani Raman on the website for journal Comparative Studies in Society and History http:/cssh.lsa.umich.educategory/discussions-with-cssh-authors/
- Premo, Bianca. 2017. Review of Translatlantic Obligations:Creating the Bonds of Family in Conquest-Era Peru and Spain by Jane A. Mangan, (Oxford, 2016), and Allyson M. Poska,Gendered Crossings: Women and Migration in the Spanish Empire (University of New Mexico, 2015) Colonial Latin America Review 26:4, 547-549.
- Verna, Chantalle. 2018, Review of Empire’s Guestworkers: Haitian Migrants in Cuba during the Age of U.S. Occupation. By Matthew Casey in Journal of Social History,Cambridge University Press, 2017. xii plus 313 pp.